Saturday, June 7, 2008

Colossal Turtle

Pond turtles will lay their eggs in a hole carved out by the mother in the middle of the night. So, imagine how thrilled we were when we became aware of this colossal turtle still laying her eggs early Saturday morning.
.
Females produce 5-13 eggs per clutch. They deposit eggs either once or twice a year.
.
Some hatchings overwinter in the nest, and this phenomenon seems more prevalent in northern areas. Possibly, winter rains may be necessary to loosen the hardpan soul where some nests are deposited. It may be that the nest is the safest place for hatchlings to shelter while they await the return of warm weather. Whether it is hatchlings or eggs that overwinter, young first appear in the spring following the year of egg deposition. Individuals grow slowly in the wild, and age of their first reproduction may be 10 to 12 years in the northern part of the range. Adult turtles may survive more than 30 years in the wild.
.
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_pond_turtle"

5 comments:

Brooke said...

WOW!
I love the dirt on her head.
I will have to show this to the kiddos.

Anonymous said...

I also noticed the dirt on her head. What a hoot. I supposed she's not too concerned about how she looks in the morning.

Shannon said...

I think that's what we all look like in the morning...dirt on the head or a rats nest...one or the other. I can't believe that you got that on camera. Amazing!

ckm said...

Wish I could see it...somehow my connection today is not cooperating!

My hair has a party at night...so I'm a rat's nest hair do in the morning.

Love
Corin

Dick said...

That is really something. You need to get a job with Animal Planet or National Geographic! How many days until they hatch?
What an exciting summer it will be anticipating a thousand little babies! Will the mom come back to check on them? Is there any "mothering" behavior involved? Lots to learn!

love, marilyn